Thursday, December 11, 2008

Leaps and bounds...and boots.

This kiddo is all over the place. We suddenly have 4 teeth! Two on top, two on bottom...and some bothersome molar-bulges in back. In spite of the teething, Mattaya has remained her usual cheerful, excitable self (for the most part). She's always THRILLED to see Daddy. Here I'm releasing her from bathtime to say goodnight to Matt...

She does this funny, tense, low-pitched laugh when she discovers Daddy.

Tobias has been pretty regular with his play-dates, and the two have been enjoying Matt's ball-pit.

Gramma Julie bought Mattaya some boots. When we tried them on her, she acted as if we'd stapled her feet to the floor. She was pretty sure she'd lost all ability to walk, so she kept asking to be picked up. I held her hand, and she took a few steps. She eventually got more comfortable...

Walking all on her own!
Gramma also found us some snowpants...

"Do these pants make my butt look big?"

Practicing her runway walk.
She's pretty sure these boots are STYLIN'!

"Hey, Mom, need some help in there?"

"All right then. I'll just go walk in my boots. These boots were made for walkin'."

Daddy got off of work early one afternoon, so Mommy decided it was a good time to fingerpaint! Daddy was super excited. ;)

After she'd given Mom a bunch of hand-prints, Daddy let Mattaya go free-style.



The many hand-prints became a flock of turkeys.


One fine gobbler.


The turkeys were then transformed into Thanksgiving cards.
Mattaya fell IN LOVE with her boots. Any time she came across them, she'd bring them to me and sit on the floor and try to put them on. Too cute! Don't they go great with purple PJ's? ;)





Ready to get the mail...


Delivering a Thanksgiving card to Gramma Julie.


And hesitantly delivering a card to Uncle Luke.


One Sunday afternoon, we taught Gramma Mabel a new trick: Spock's "Live long and prosper" fingers.


Her left hand did okay, but her right hand was defective.




I often do dinner prep during Mattaya's afternoon snacktime (when she's CONTAINED in her high-chair and definitely not getting into anything!). She often wants what I have, whether it's raw chicken, celery ribs, or utensils. This day she desperately NEEDED a large spoon like Mommy's. I handed her one. She promptly grabbed it and said, "Hello."


We tried introducing her to Elmo...a much smaller, easier to tote friend...


...but she immediately returned to her first love.


Climbing a snow-capped North Dakota mountain in Gramma Julie's front yard.


"I've reached the top!"


This mountain was a bit taller, so Gramma Julie's help was needed.


My kid with a backpack. SO not a sight I needed to see!


Surprisingly enough, this picture is not to commemorate Mattaya's proud graduation to straw cups. This picture is to document Daddy's hatred for Mattaya's "saggy old-man underwear" (as he refers to her too-big onesies). This kid grew like a weed over the summer, so I was SURE she'd be in 24-month clothes by now. So I bought 24-month onesies instead of 18-month onesies to save money. Seems smart, right? Not to Daddy...


...he's absolutely sickened by the sight of the saggy bottom. ;)

Matt got an owie. He dropped a TV (a broken one that he picked up off the curb...he's SO been spending too much time with my father!) on his finger in the van. It got pinched between the TV (on top) and the belt buckle (on bottom). It became quite swollen and painful. He was pretty sure it was broken, and I was pretty sure it was just full of fluid. Although convinced it was broken, he didn't call the doctor. I, of course, was recommending anti-inflammatories, ice, and elevation. We had this conversation for several days, until the weekend (when he COULDN'T call a doctor)...he asked me to get online and see what I could find out about broken fingers. I found out that if you have blood trapped under your nail, you can MELT through the nail to release the fluid and relieve the pressure. YAY! Right? No. Matt was pretty sure that was dangerous (and it kind of is because you can poke your nailbed if you go too far and that can lead to infection and permanent damage). After half an hour, he came back and asked me if I'd stab him in the finger with a hot paper clip. I jumped at the chance! And it worked. This picture isn't terribly clear, but he thoroughly enjoyed squeezing blood out his fingernail. In fact, it was his favorite pasttime for about a week! Now the swelling is down, and it feels much better. The nail is still black, though...wonder what he'll let me do about that. ;)

Thanksgiving is a special occasion, so Mattaya's hair celebrated with pig-tails!

And you thought I was mean for making Mattaya take out the trash. Daddy makes her do the floors!

"I think this room DEFINITELY needs it."

I was preparing potatoes for dinner this day. As I was washing them, she was INSISTENT that she needed one just like that right now. So I gave it to her. And she tasted it.

"This is not good."

Perhaps better with the skin off?

Or maybe in a more handle-able size?
It didn't matter. She didn't like it any way I gave it to her. But she definitely wanted it.

Mattaya was astonished to find the Christmas tree all set up one morning when she awoke.

She wondered whether it was touchable.
And she found that it was.
And Daddy even let her touch the star.

Then she correctly identified her stocking.

Gramma Julie went shopping for holiday clothes for Mattaya. She bought a TON and brought them to our house early on a Saturday morning so we could try on and help pick out what to keep. We landed on this comfy outfit (it has stretch pants instead of tights!), and...

this fancy outfit.

"Thanks, Gramma J.!"

While Gramma Julie was here that day, we had our first Play-Doh experience.
First Mattaya practiced drinking from the cups.
When I handed her the "dough", she had no idea what to do with it. She just held it and waited for something to happen.

Gramma showed her how to roll it and make it into a snowman.

Mattaya wondered what the pile of spheres was...

She eventually tried to smash and poke the "dough".

Gramma made her some "snakes", which she thoroughly enjoyed because she can say, "Ssssssss."

And then came the inevitable. She didn't actually get to eat any, but she kept trying!

So we tried to take a picture for Christmas cards. This would have been nice, except that Mattaya's face was mostly in her coat.

Sigh.
Her face really conveys Christmas joy, don't you think?

And she just kept looking more and more miserable.

Until we took her inside and put her down for nap. Better luck next time!

3 comments:

Melonie said...

Oh my goodness, Karisa! You are too funny. I LOVE all your captions! Mattaya is absolutely adorable, and actually even cuter now (if that's possible) than ever. I think you should do the pig-tails more often...and get some more close-up shots! :)

I remember doing turkey handprints with Drake, too! And play-doh! Oh, the fun memories. It just doesn't seem so exciting the second time around, so Levi has yet to have those experiences. ;) (I'm almost completely kidding about the second-child thing. It's way more of a personality thing; comparing my boys at this almost-two age is like night and day.)

Anyhow, it's SOO fun to keep up with you guys and see all the cute pictures! Keep up the good work!

Karisa said...

You're too nice! I'll see what I can do about the more pig-tails idea.... I didn't want to get too close, because my "part" was so not straight. And she moves so much! ALL THE TIME! It's hard to pin her down for a picture unless she's in the high-chair or playing with Daddy. But I'll see what I can do. I aim to please! ;)

Melonie said...

Well, don't stress over it too much. If putting in piggy-tails is anything like brushing Levi's teeth, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. ;)