Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mo' Taya

(A little more from the mouth of Mattaya)

Heretofore, Mattaya was referring to herself as "Taya" and to Makenna as "Kenna". Suddenly she began referring to Makenna as "MOkenna". "MOtaya" quickly followed, and now "MO" is becoming quite a common prefix in her vocabulary. For instance: banana. Originally it was "banna". More recently it became "muhbanna", but since MO hit, it's "MObanna".

Mattaya hasn't been feeling particularly well the last few days. Sounds like a cold. Maybe a sinus infection. Not sure. ANYWAY. She didn't sleep well last night and began a conversation with her bed buddies last night at 2:00AM. When I went in at 2:30 to ask her to pipe down, she explained to me that she was simply telling Weezah (i.e., Zebra) that she (the zebra, that is) could go to the nursery tamyo (tomorrow) on Moozday (Tuesday) and change her own diaper because she pooped in her diaper. This is the point at which I stopped her, because I could tell there was going to be NO END to this discourse. She did stop talking, though, after I left her room.

This morning, the funny continued. You must understand that if Mattaya is sick, then Curious George is of course sick as well. So this morning, she popped out of bed and began bustling about to care for the stuffed monkey. She came to the bathroom and rushed out with the thermometer, explaining that she was going to take George's "pentacher" (temperature). The thermometer indicated that George was seriously ill and in need of more rest. She tucked him in; turned on the CD player, sound machine, and nightlight; then announced that he needed a "fire", a "PACifier" (she clarified). We came to understand that George needed a HUMIDIFIER. Mercy.

Something else that has been striking us about her language aside from the funny words is her insistence in speaking in complete sentences. With Mattaya, there is very rarely a one-word answer (I have NO IDEA where she gets that!). ;) Yesterday we were at the eye doctor for the first time, and he was asking her questions that required one-word answers. What do you see? I see a duck. That doesn't seem particularly odd, but there's the processing time then her slow rate of precise speech which made the tests seem like for-e-ver. But her doctor was a kind and patient man and sat very well through every production. ;) Even at church on Sunday's, her answer to "How are you doing, Mattaya?" is "I am doing fine. I come to church and wear my shoes blah blah blah." She is a sweet and funny girl (in our opinion, of course).

Other words we've heard lately:

hiccup = pick-up
eftuhsize = exercise (this is even more hilarious if you can observe her attempts at jumping jacks and push-ups!)

2 comments:

Kelli said...

That is funny because Mariah refers to pick-ups as hiccups!!! They are both confused. She is now correcting me when I copy something she says, so if she says "nake" for snake and I repeat it the way she says it, she makes sure to correct me by overemphasizing the sounds and saying, "No mommy, it's n...ake." Too cute!!!

matt n karisa said...

Love it! When I imitate Mattaya, she just gives me this look like, "Why are you talking like that? Who talks like that?" This age is just oh-so-fun!